You are currently browsing the daily archive for 30 June 2008.

Republican SINN FÉIN Poblachtach

For immediate release

For further information contact: Richard Walsh (Publicity Officer) on 07835 620 592 (Six Counties) or 087 261 8603 (26-Counties)

LURGAN FIVE RELEASED

Following raids on Friday morning, during which four Republicans were arrested in the Lurgan area of County Armagh, a fifth man was held after being stopped on his journey from work. All were subsequently released from Antrim interrogation centre on Saturday evening without charge.

A spokesperson for Republican Sinn Féin said:

“We have since discovered that SDLP Stormont member Dolores Kelly had arrived at the scene of one of the addresses raided several minutes prior to the raid commencing. This is a clear indication that she is held in sufficient esteem by her British masters to be informed in advance of operations being conducted against the people of North Armagh.

“For our part we call upon the people of Ireland to join with the Republican Movement in ridding Ireland of the illegal and morally bankrupt British presence.”

ENDS rsf.ie
Republican Sinn Fein

Advertisements

Derry Journal

Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness has told dissident republicans to “pack up and go away” at an IRA commemoration event in Derry on Sunday.

In a hard-hitting message to armed republican groups, Mr. McGuinness dismissed their campaign as “bogus” and “pointless”.

He also said the response of the people of Derry to the murder of Emmett Shiels in Creggan last week was an indication of the lack of support for dissident republican groups.

“These groups should listen to the voice of the people and pack up and go away. They have come to the point of no return, armed action in the absence of a political strategy and support are pointless and do nothing to advance the cause of Irish freedom. Indeed the opposite is the reality,” he said.

Mr. McGuinness also offered to hold talks with the leaders of dissident republican groups. “I have heard some within these groups argue that their motivation is to drag the IRA back onto the battlefield. That will not happen. And indeed, myself, Gerry Adams and other republican leaders have offered to meet with these various groups to set out in very clear terms where we see the struggle sitting and where it is headed in the years ahead,” he said.

Remarkable find reveals the stark truth about war

**Additional material onsite

By Des Blackadder
Ballymena Times
30 June 2008

“The account of his final days is very touching and I thought this link might be of interest to someone ”
Sue Light

The traumatic effect of the opening day of the Battle of the Somme on July1, 1916 is a well documented tale.

Movements of the so-called ‘big battalions’ have been exhaustively written about in a plethora of publications but every now and again, a little snippet of information surfaces which brings the awful tragedy of that bloodiest day into local perspective.

[‘The Battle of the Somme, also known as the Somme Offensive, fought from July to November 1916, was among the largest battles of the First World War. With more than 1.5 million casualties, it is also one of the bloodiest military operations recorded.’ —Wikipedia]

Over the past few years, Great War researcher, Sue Light, who concentrates on the role played by nurses during the conflict, has been examining the wartime diary of Edith Appleton, a QAIMNS Nursing Sister, which has recently been put online.

And, amazingly, she was able to trace one of the soldiers mentioned in the historic document to the Ballymena area.

Rifleman James Lennox, from Edward Street, in the Harryville area of the town, was severely wounded on July 1, 1916. His wounds were mortal and he passed away, after weeks of stoic suffering on August 22.

Sue says: “Few men are named in the diary, but there are occasions where the man can be identified.

“During July and August 1916, she (Nurse Appleton) nurses a young man who everyone knew was without hope, but somehow clung to life for weeks.

“Although not identified at first, he is later named as ‘Lennox’ and by his date of death, I could eventually pin him down as:-

LENNOX
Initials: J
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Rifleman
Regiment/Service: Royal Irish Rifles
Unit Text: 12th Bn.
Age: 24
Date of Death: 22/08/1916
Service No: 1925
Additional information: Son of James and Sarah Lennox, of Edward St., Harryville, Ballymena.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: II. C. 17.
Cemetery: ETRETAT CHURCHYARD.

Sue added:”The account of his final days is very touching and I thought this link might be of interest to someone in your town – it is so rare to have this sort of descriptive writing of an ordinary soldier.”

The link to the site is below – the entries regarding James Lennox begin on July 13th 1916. The diary entry for August 23, 1916 makes particularly emotional reading:

Diaries of Edith Appleton

For the part on Lennox’s death, click on the links covering July and August.

If you want to find out more about Ballymena’s role in the Great War then go to our sub-site:

Ballymena 1914-1918 Carved in Stone, But Not Forgotten.

Londonderry Sentinel
30 June 2008

Three men have been arrested in Derry in connection with the murder of 22 year-old Emmett Shiels
The men presented themselves at Strand Road PSNI station this afternoon before being arrested and taken to the serious crime suite at Antrim PSNI station.

The PSNI confirmed the men had been arrested. “We can confirm that three men from Derry have been arrested in connection with the investigation into the murder of Emmett Shiels,” the spokesperson said.

Two men were arrested last week as part of the investigation but both were later released without charge.

By Ed Carty
Independent.ie
Monday June 30 2008

CAMPAIGNERS who lost a lengthy court battle to reroute the controversial M3 motorway are seeking legal advice over reports on the archaeological heritage in the area.

The TaraWatch group, led by Vincent Salafia, have asked lawyers to look into whether a High Court ruling backing the road may be struck out.

The Sixth World Archaeological Congress, which began in Dublin yesterday, is examining a report by an expert who assessed the significance of historical sites along the M3 route in Co Meath.

It has questioned archaeological findings which paved the way for work to begin on the road. “Legal advice is immediately being sought,” Mr Salafia said. “There may be a possibility of vacating the judgment or, at a minimum, suing for damages.”

The High Court ruled in 2005 that none of the 38 areas examined before construction on the road began were national monuments and that the wider area around the Hill of Tara could not be considered a single national monument.

TaraWatch will this week meet officials from the UNESCO group as it continues its campaign to have the Hill of Tara and surrounding lands declared a World Heritage Site.

– Ed Carty

www.nicivilrights.org has just formed a new Google group you might want to join. It’s brand new, so go on over and sign up and get the discussion going:

Civil Rights Network

Bobby Sands mural photo
Ní neart go cur le chéile

Calendar

A note about Archives

For March-Sept. 2007 click here:

March - Sept 2007

All other months and years are below.

'So venceremos, beidh bua againn eigin lá eigin. Sealadaigh abú.' --Bobby Sands

Advertisements