By Brenda McDaid
Belfast Telegraph
4 June 2012

PSNI vehicle is badly damaged after bomb is hurled at officers (PA)

The throwing of a bomb at a police vehicle was attempted murder, the PSNI said last night.

The front of the vehicle was badly damaged after the bomb was thrown at officers as they conducted a search in the Creggan area of Derry.

Youths also threw stones at police.

The front of the four-wheel drive vehicle was almost blown off.

Nobody was injured in the attack at Rathmore Park on Saturday night.

PSNI Inspector Jon Burrows said: “Those who carried out this attack have shown callous disregard for the safety of the local community and my officers.

“It is only by sheer good fortune that we do not have a fatality on our hands as this attack occurred in a built- up residential area.

“My officers should be allowed to carry out their duties without the added pressure of misguided individuals intent on causing them harm.”

Police have appealed for anyone with information to come forward.

A spokesman said: “Detectives in Strand Road are appealing for information following the attempted murder of police officers in the Creggan area of Derry.”

A man was later arrested as part of an investigation into dissident republican activity.

The 50-year-old suspect was detained after police searched a property in the Creggan yesterday.

Police said he had been taken to Antrim Serious Crime Suite for questioning.

The attack is the latest in a series of incidents in the city, which have been blamed on dissident republicans.

One of the most serious was the bombing of the Strand Road police station in 2010.

Dissident group Oglaigh na hEireann claimed it carried out that attack, in which 200lbs of homemade explosives were used.

Nobody was injured in the attack but several businesses were badly damaged.

A policeman was hailed as a hero when he risked his own life when he walked past the bomb twice to bring to safety staff at a nearby fast food shop.

There have also been attacks on the City of Culture offices and an attempt to bomb the main court building.